Tuesday, September 22, 2009

buckle-down

Have you ever put something off for so long that you've forgotten about it entirely or just simply failed to see it through to completion?
I'm ashamed to admit I have. Want proof? Look at my previous blog post dated 6/9 where I talked about how I was going stay consistent with my blog posts because I was "mature".
Ouch.
Or how about the pile of papers I have stashed in my closet from freshman year that I swear I'll sort through some day...
Or here is a better one: how about all of the times I've started a diet and exercise program only to quit a week later...


Whether its been about dieting, cleaning up my room, reading my Bible or quitting a certain sin I just can't seem to "buckle-down" and get the job done. I can't count the number of times I've said "that can wait until tomorrow".
But how much of "today's" unfinished work actually gets resolved "tomorrow"?
And because of that how many New Years Resolutions go unresolved? How many sins go unrepented? How much time gets wasted?

I was reading a quote by Elton Trueblood today which said "Without the discipline of time, we spoil the next day the night before, and without the discipline of prayer, we are likely to end by having practically no experience of the divine human encounter...Discipline is the price of freedom."

God is calling us to an incredible life of love and freedom, but its gonna take something. It took the death of God's Son on a cross some 2,000 years ago, so this gift of life was costly. Grace is free and cannot be earned, but it's best experienced by a life lived the way it's Creator intended for His creation.
It is pretty safe to say that I will not lose weight if I don't eat right and exercise. It takes work and if I'm going to do it right I have to be disciplined to see the progress.
Maybe we fail to see God's work in our lives because we fail to do the things He has called us to?
I bet we would see some victory if we'd actually fight a bit...
Lets stop saving today's work for tomorrow.
"Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run wither perseverance the race marked out for us." -Hebrews 12:1

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you, Rob!

    In a race, all runners run. Run as in a way to get the prize.

    Or, in your case, don't take 2 months to move forward one stride ;)

    ReplyDelete